Ensuring that medical devices are manufactured to precise quality specifications is key for medical device manufacturers. Keeping this thought at the forefront of regulatory compliance issues underscores the importance of constantly fine-tuning manufacturing processes with patient safety in mind. Performance Validation (PV) has successfully worked with a global Medical Device Manufacturer based in Kalamazoo, Michigan on their production part approval processes (PPAP) for years. And now, we offer PPAP support services on a larger scale for medical device manufacturers who want to fine-tune the process through which they validate the parts and components they use to manufacture their products.
What is PPAP in Medical Device Manufacturing?
Medical device manufacturers can use a production part approval process (PPAP) to verify that their part suppliers are providing them with high-quality, regulatory-compliant components they need to produce precise, high-quality medical devices. The PPAP process includes nine essential elements:
- Identifying Requirements: Collect and document all of the part specifications, details, and drawings to define the required specifications for each manufacturing component.
- Submitting Documentation: The parts supplier submits this documentation, including the Part Submission Warrant (PSW) to the medical device manufacturers (customer). The PSW summarizes the results of the PPAP process.
- Performing a Design Review: The customer reviews the documents submitted by the parts supplier to make sure the part meets the required specifications.
- Conducting a Process Review: The customer reviews the supplier’s production processes to validate that the supplier can consistently produce the required parts or components.
- Performing Testing and Inspection: The supplier tests and inspects the parts to ensure they meet the required specifications.
- Submitting Samples: The supplier then submits samples to the customer so they can test and inspect the parts for compliance, quality, and consistency.
- Submitting the Part Submission Warrant (PSW): After the customer inspects and verifies that the part or component meets their standards, the supplier submits the PSW to the customer.
- Obtaining Approval: Upon receipt of the PSW, the customer can approve the part for production.
- Maintaining Records: All PPAP records and documents are recorded and maintained by both the customer and supplier for auditing and future reference.
Benefits of Outsourcing Medical Device Manufacturing PPAP
PV has successfully managed this PPAP process for large Medical Device companies that have been able to gain more insight into their own processes while getting higher-quality parts that have empowered them to produce consistently high-quality medical devices. Some of the benefits of inviting PV to kickstart and manage your PPAP process include:
- Quick turnaround time: Starting a PPAP protocol within your company can take a lot of research and time. Since PV already has the experience and processes necessary to boost regulatory compliance, we can apply this to your project more quickly while you focus on perfecting your products and service offerings.
- Experts working for you: Your expertise is creating medical devices that save lives. Our expertise is managing the PPAP process in such a way that you can worry less about potential product defects and spend more time developing new ways to help your customers.
- Efficiency: As we manage your PPAP process, we often find new ways for our clients to streamline their operations, save time and reduce costs while boosting quality along the way.
- We help you stay compliant: As a PPAP provider with many years of expertise assisting medical device manufacturers to maintain strict regulatory compliance, we can save you the headaches and hassle that come with non-conforming products. PV will assure you the due diligence is done and provide you with audit-ready documentation for any future regulatory audits.
Take Advantage of PV’s PPAP Expertise
PV delivers high-quality PPAP experience and expertise with the flexibility and insight you need to maintain compliance, boost quality, and streamline processes so that you consistently produce excellent medical devices that can save people’s lives. Contact us today to find out how.