As a building owner, you understand the importance of caring for and keeping your building running smoothly. However, over time, building systems and components can become less efficient or fail altogether. That is where existing building commissioning comes in.
What is Existing Building Commissioning?
Existing building commissioning (EBCx) is the process of optimizing the performance of building systems and components that have been in operation for some time. This includes everything from HVAC systems and lighting controls to plumbing and electrical systems.
The goal of EBCx is to identify and address any issues or inefficiencies in existing building systems, which can lead to significant cost savings and improved occupant comfort. By going through the EBCx process, building owners can ensure that their building is running as efficiently as possible, while also extending the lifespan of equipment and reducing maintenance costs.
The Pain Points of Building Maintenance
As a building owner, you know that maintenance and upkeep are essential for keeping your building running smoothly. However, there are several pain points that come with caring for an existing building, including:
- Cost: Maintaining an existing building can be expensive, especially if you have to constantly repair or replace systems and components.
- Downtime: When systems fail, it can lead to downtime and lost productivity for tenants.
- Occupant Comfort: If building systems are not working properly, it can lead to discomfort for tenants, which can impact their satisfaction and productivity.
- Energy Efficiency: Inefficient systems can lead to higher energy bills, which can eat into your bottom line.
The Benefits of Existing Building Commissioning
EBCx can help alleviate many of these pain points by optimizing existing building systems and identifying and addressing any issues or inefficiencies. This can lead to several benefits, including:
- Cost Savings: By optimizing existing building systems, building owners can save money on energy bills, reduce maintenance costs, and extend the lifespan of equipment.
- Improved Occupant Comfort: When building systems are working properly, tenants are more comfortable and productive.
- Increased Productivity: With fewer system failures and less downtime, tenants can be more productive and efficient.
- Reduced Environmental Impact: By improving energy efficiency, building owners can reduce their environmental impact and meet sustainability goals.
The Cost of Existing Building Commissioning
While EBCx does require an upfront investment, the potential pay-off time and return on investment can be significant. The cost of EBCx will depend on a number of factors, including the size and complexity of the building, the scope of the commissioning process, and the location of the building.
However, studies have shown that the return on investment for EBCx can be as high as 25%, with payback periods ranging from 2 to 4 years. This means that building owners can recoup their investment in a relatively short amount of time, while also enjoying ongoing cost savings and other benefits.
Performance Validation Experience
At Performance Validation, we have extensive experience in helping building owners maximize improvements and energy cost savings through our EBCx services. Our team of experts will work with you to identify and address any issues or inefficiencies in your building systems, while also ensuring that everything is working together as intended.
Using our advanced EBCx calculator, we can provide you with an estimate of your potential cost savings and return on investment. This can help you make an informed decision about whether EBCx is right for your building. Access EBCx Calculator HERE
Existing building commissioning is an essential process for building owners who want to ensure that their buildings are running efficiently and effectively. By optimizing existing building systems and identifying and addressing any issues or inefficiencies, building owners can enjoy significant cost savings, improved occupant comfort, and other benefits. While there is an upfront cost associated with EBCx, the potential return on investment and pay off time make it a worthwhile investment for any building owner. Contact Performance Validation today to see how we can help you maximize your building’s potential.